The Story Starts…
In 1912 John Blandy Jenkins of Llanharan House bequeathed land for the benefit of the community in his last will and testament.
4th November 1915 aged 76 years John Blandy Jenkins passed away; his grave can be seen in Llanharan Church.
In 1920 The Welfare Association was created to manage the land now known as the Welfare Ground and Hall.
On 5th July 1944 the land the management was taken over by the Miners; who in turn built the Welfare Hall, the hall was the heart of the community and held weekly dances plus more.
The ground was used for Carnivals and those who have Terry Witts book ‘The forgotten years’ can see the carnival queen and escorts in 1952 at the ground along with the cenotaph that is now on Hillside.
A GROUND DEEP IN HISTORY
A Landmark To The Community…
In addition, there was a tennis court; a cricket pitch; football and rugby held on the ground.
As mining was slowly closing across the community, by 1978 the once strong mining community was no more; a charity was formed dated August 1978 and the Trustees were Llanharan Community Council; this was to later change in 2014 where members of the public could become Trustees.
The ground and hall are still very much pivotal within the community, with the hall holding many activities still with the ethos of the miners; to maintain cost-effective pricing so all are able to benefit.
Over the past 5 years there has been extensive work to the hall, includng the external facade, kitchen upgrade, toilet upgrade, meeting room and hall improvements. In addition a water fountain has been installed outside and automatic doors to the hall.
Home To Llanharan AFC and More
The ground is home to Llanharan AFC, League winners for season 19/20, Mini and Junior Rugby, Blandy Jenkins Archers; a children’s playground; boxing gym, plus many more.
In 2021 we created an orchard at the far bottom of the ground and many of the trees have been dedicated to loved ones as well as a donation of a park bench and tree dedicated to those who lost their lives to covid by Rosie Baldwin; The Trust have dedicated a bench and the orchard to John Blandy Jenkins without whom we would not have such a treasure at the heart of our community.
In addition to the Welfare land; the Trust also own land in Bryncae just under 2 acres, where Bryncae Community Centre is built; The Trust owns all green space around the centre, income from the hall and groundhire needs to cover the maintenance of this area as no income comes from the ground. Hirers of Bryncae Community Centre, should not use the outside area as part of their hires without the express consent of the Trust.